"No one is going to work harder to make you a life-long client." - Ben Chung, Owner & Founder of Hong Kong Auto Service, Wilmette's premier auto repair facility
Today's cars, light trucks and SUVs are high-tech marvels featuring digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, computers, unibody construction and more. They run better, longer and more efficiently than models from years past. When it comes to repairs, however, some things stay the same. This handy checklist should help keep your vehicle in top running condition.
Do your homework
Before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service:
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and services - or choose a repair shop that maintains computerized records for you.
Don't ignore warning signs
You know your car better than anyone else and know how it feels/sounds when everything is right. So don't ignore its warning signs. Use all your senses to frequently inspect your vehicle, noting:
- unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings;
- changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels;
- worn tires, belts, hoses;
- unusual vibrations or problems handling, braking or steering.
If you detect something out of the ordinary, note when the problem started and answer the "when" questions. Does the problem occur:
- constantly or periodically?
- when the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up?
- at all speeds?
- only under acceleration?
- during braking?
- while shifting?
When you arrive at Hong Kong Auto Service - Wilmette's premier auto repair facility - provide us with a written symptoms list so our technicians can more quickly and accurately diagnose the problem and recommend a remedy.
Stay involved & ask questions
- Don't be too embarrassed to ask for definitions and explanations.
- While an on-the-spot diagnosis is often not possible, ask the shop to contact you about the problem, course of action and costs before repairs begin.
- If you have an unusual or intermittent noise, vibration or engine performance issue, don?t hesitate to ask your service advisor to go for a ride with you. We'll be able to diagnose and repair a problem more quickly and accurately if we can actually experience the issue.
Hong Kong Auto Service of Wilmette is happy to help you with all your car-maintenance needs. Contact us today to find out why we're Wilmette's premier auto repair facility.